Pumpkin butter is tricky.
It’s like a newborn…don’t take your eye off it or the results could be perilous.
I’ve learned the hard way, my friends.
Please understand that if you’re diligent and careful, said pumpkin butter will sing to you. Mix it in your favorite pumpkin pancake recipe and be amazed. I mixed it into my Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk cookie dough and fell in love. Don’t tell Timothy Olyphant, though…I wouldn’t want him to get jealous.
As you might’ve guessed, pumpkin butter takes a long time; and it’s a bit on the labor intensive side. So if you’re going to make some, make a double batch. You’ll thank me later.
Pumpkin Butter (Double Batch)
- Purchase a big can of Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin (29.5oz).
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin with 2 cups of lightly packed brown sugar, until it’s thoroughly mixed.
- Place mixture in a pot and simmer on a medium-low heat.
- Grab your favorite magazine and pull up a chair, ’cause you’ll be stirring that pumpkin butter for about an hour. It should reduce by almost 1/2, by that time.
- Let pumpkin butter cool. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.